Complete the sentences with the past progressive.
1. The girls were playing (play) cards.
2. Greg was looking (look) for his wallet.
3. Mr Miller was not washing (not wash) his car.
4. Susan was doing (do) her homework.
5. They were not playing (not play) football yesterday afternoon.
6. I was waiting (wait) for her in the park.
7. Carol and I were having (have) dinner when he arrived.
8. We were playing (play) the guitar when she entered.
9. Tom was not swimming (not swim) in the pool.
10. The boys were cycling (cycle) home from school.
11. She was working (work) in her office.
12. I wasn’t learning (not learn) the new words.
13. Ann was lying (lie) on the beach.
14. We were sitting (sit) on the bench for a long time.
15 He was phoning (phone) his aunt.
Write down the past progressive of the verbs in brackets.
1. We were writing (write) the essay together.
2. Frank was preparing (prepare) breakfast.
3. Mrs Summers wasn’t listening (not listen) to him.
4. Daniel was doing (do) the shopping.
5. They were not reading (not read) the book.
6. I was having (have) a shower.
7. He wasn’t watching (not watch) TV.
8. We were swimming (swim) in the sea.
9. Tom and I were visiting (vist) the castle.
10. The sun was shining (shine).
11. She was cleaning (clean) the windows.
12. I was showing (show) them most of the sights.
13. Ann wasn’t taking (not take) a lot of photos.
14. We were playing (play) voleyball on the beach.
15. They were talking (talk) to their neighbours.
Use the past progressive to complete the sentences.
1. They were playing cards. (play)
2. I was sweeping the floor. (sweep)
3. Sam was reading the newspaper. (read)
4. A lot of children were waiting at the station. (wait)
5. Mum was working in her office. (work)
6. He was walking to school. (walk)
7. When they looked at her, she was smiling. (smile)
8. We were playing outside when it started to rain. (play)
9. The boys were watching their favourite TV series. (watch)
10. I was working yesterday afternoon. (work)
11. Tim and Maggie were sitting in the sun. (sit)
12. Were you swimming in the sea? (you swim)
13. They were decorating their house. (decorate)
14. Nora was handing out leaflets. (hand out)
15. Was he relaxing on the beach? (he relax)
The Busy Man
Once upon a time there was a Busy Man working at a farm.He was busy because he had to plant some carrots and cabbage.Then he was going to clean the house and also he had to take the dogs for a walk.It was night and he went to bed.
– Chapline decided to take part in the competition.4
-He didn’t win the first prize.7
- This happened when he was already a world famous actor.3
-Charlie was so much surprised when he heard that he wasn’t the winner.6
-People who took part in the competition had to dress like Charlie Chapline, walk like Chaplin and act out one of the roles in a Chaplin film.2
-Of course, he didn’t tell about it to anyone.5
-A theatre announced a competition to see who could act like Charlie Chaplin.1
A theatre announced a competition to see who could act like Charlie Chaplin People who took part in the competition had to dress like Charlie Chapline, walk like Chaplin and act out one of the roles in a Chaplin film. This happened when he was already a world famous actor Chapline decided to take part in the competition.Of course, he didn’t tell about it to anyone Charlie was so much surprised when he heard that he wasn’t the winner He didn’t win the first prize.THE END.